Tuesday, May 12, 2020

Coloring Fun - Batman & Batgirl by John Byrne


Black-and-White commissioned sketches are usually more fun to color than the coloring book pages found in official material. If you're following this blog, you may have noticed I stopped coloring pages from the Batman: Hush coloring book. Congratulations to anyone who did. I found that John Byrne drawing in a Google search, printed it, got the crayons out, then proceeded with the coloring.

The colors on the Batgirl costume are a nod to Yvonne Craig. The blue-green Batman costume is a nod to the cover color choices from Bronze Age Batman comics. The red night sky is a nod to later episodes of Batman: The Animated Series. The color of the Batmobile is a nod to how it appeared on the Superfriends cartoons:

Funny how the colors look brighter in that shot, but they're kinda muted in the later picture. I blame the camera. I miss the one I used to have.

The end result looked great to me - I framed it:

I find that the black frame & glass helps it "Pop" more..or in this case, "Biff!" "Bam!" "Ka-Pow!"




No comments:

Post a Comment